Try this quick and easy method of making your own oven-dried tomatoes. They can be enjoyed in salads, soups, pastas, sauces, pizza and more! You can add them to almost any dish and they’ll add the flavour of ‘sun-dried’ tomatoes to your cooking!
- mini tomatoes
- Make sure your tomatoes are relatively the same size so that they complete drying at the same time. Gently wash the tomatoes and line them up on a wire baking rack. (A sheet pan will also work fine, but turning will be required.)
- Prick each tiny tomato to discourage a tomato explosion!
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F and place the tomatoes in it.
- The drying process varies between 6-10 hrs for tiny tomatoes. Check every 2 hours until done. The tomatoes should be raisin-like when completed.
- To rehydrate if tomatoes became too crispy, put in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
To store your oven-dried tomatoes, place in air tight freezer bags and store in the cupboard or freezer for up to 6 months.
When ready to use, eat as is in salads, sauces, on pizza, etc. Your oven-dried tomatoes can also be placed in a small glass jar with olive oil and a sprig of thyme, rosemary, oregano, or basil. Once infused, keep refrigerated and use in a timely fashion.
These oven-dried tomatoes make a wonderful gift for any culinary enthusiast and can be complimented with a pouch of fresh dried Italian herbs.