This fresh and tangy tabouli is one of the most popular dishes in the Middle East! It is a simple salad made with chopped parsley, mint, onions, tomatoes and bulgar wheat and topped with oil and lemon juice. The extraordinary flavours of this easy dish will transport you to Lebanon where it originated.
- 1 1/4 cups Bulgur wheat
- 1 cup chick peas – optional
- 1 1/4 cups chopped Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped spearmint or english mint
- 3/4 cup scallions or green chopped onions
- 1/2 clove of minced garlic
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Pour 4 cups boiling water over Bulgur wheat and let stand for 4 hours. Drain and add optional 1 cup chick peas.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Mix well and chill.
Serve as a side dish or as a snack and scoop with fresh pita bread.