Tomato Basil Stuffed Chicken
This recipe is a great twist to everyday chicken, with the tomatoes adding extra moisture and fresh basil providing delicious flavour. Topped with melted cheese and wrapped with bacon, these stuffed chicken breasts will be your family’s new favourite dinner!
- 4 6 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 ounces garlic and herb marinade
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 1 large tomato (thinly sliced)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or chives (for garnish)
- Slice chicken breasts horizontally, without slicing them completely in half. Open the chicken breasts like a book.
- Place chicken and marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500ºF (260ºC).
- Place opened chicken breasts on a broiler pan. Place 4 basil leaves on the bottom half of each chicken breast. Top each with 2 or 3 tomato slices and 1 slice of cheese, and fold over top half of chicken (if necessary, fasten with toothpicks).
- Wrap 3 slices bacon around each chicken breast.
- Cook in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Flip chicken, and cook 15 minutes more.
- Remove from oven, and sprinkle chicken with Parmesan.
- Return to oven, and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
This recipe can be reduced in fat by omitting the cheese and bacon.